At one time, there wasn’t much choice when it came to schools. Parents had one option for a public school, and they had to accept it or pay for a private education. Today, there are many more options for parents within the public school system, and in particular, Washington DC offers charter schools that parents can look into to see if they are a good fit for their students.
Shining Stars Montessori Academy is one such charter school that offers a quality, child-driven education for ages preschool through grade 4. There are several open house days when we welcome you to come tour the school and discover for yourself what a Montessori education looks like.
If you’re unsure what to look for at an open house and are having difficulty choosing your child’s school, here are some tips that may help you make a decision:
- Does the school have a clear mission statement?
- Is the ambiance welcoming and cheerful?
- Do teachers seem to be truly invested in the children’s education, or does it seem like they are only there for a paycheck?
- What are the teachers’ qualifications and experiences?
- Is administration confident, and appears to be open to interacting with students and parents?
- Are the building and grounds well-maintained and up-to-date?
- If students are present, do they appear to be engaged and challenged?
- Does student work appear to allow individuality?
- How is discipline handled in the school?
- Are students with special needs accommodated?
- What extra-curricular activities are offered? Music? Art? Technology? Sports? Clubs?
- Is there a before or after-school childcare program?
- Does the school library offer a variety of up-to-date offerings?
- How does the school communicate with parents?
- How does this school stand-out from other schools in the area?
You’ll be happy to know that we provide answers to all of these questions and can address them better than most schools in your area!
If you live in the DC area and are curious about Shining Stars Montessori Academy, contact us. We would be happy to answer any questions and provide you with more information regarding open houses and enrollment.
- R. Rodriguez